Just got my concealed carry permit. Why would I feel the need to carry concealed? There are several reasons.
1) I believe people have a right to defend themselves. Against many threats, a firearm is the most effective tool with which to defend yourself.
2) I like to be prepared in general, so I plan on carrying a gun for the same reason I carry a first aid kit. You never know when you’ll need to act, either to aid yourself or another.
3) I am a strong advocate for civilian armament to prevent government overreach. While a rifle would be much more effective for deterring a tyrannical government, a handgun will do in a pinch. So the more widespread gun ownership is, the more careful the government needs to be that it doesn’t make too many of us mad.
4) I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere by myself, so being armed just makes good sense.
5) Guns are fun to shoot! As a very novice shooter, I’ve already learned that shooting targets is fun. A concealed carry permit greatly reduces the hassles of firearm transportation.
6) Because it pisses off the right people. You know who you are.